Nice replica handbags for sale,free shipping all our replica watches online sale,discount rolex replica online store,buy any rolex replica from us with high quality product,swiss replica watches under big discount,replica watches sale,rolex replica,uk replica watches online store,please visit replica watches

The Arch, Repton, originally part of a 12th century Augustinian Priory. Image courtesy of Derby PhotographsHistoric Capital of Mercia  

The Parish of Repton comprises the villages of Repton and Milton, and the surroundings rolling countryside that rises from the washlands of the River Trent.  To the north the river itself forms the parish boundary and to the south the boundary lies within the woodland of the National Forest.

Repton is situated in South Derbyshire, some 10 miles from the centre of Derby and 7 from Burton on Trent.  The electoral role of Repton is 1730, and Milton 169


The History of Repton

The origins of Repton lie in the early sixth century, when a settlement was established on the banks of the Trent.  Later the community became the capital of the Saxon kingdom of Mercia.  In AD 653 it was the place where Christianity was first preached in the Midlands.  During a period of archaeological excavations in the 1970s near the present Parish Church of Saint Wystan, the remains of 200 Viking men and 49 Mercian women were uncovered in a burial mound .  Also discovered was the ‘Repton Stone? the broken shaft of an Anglo-Saxon cross that showed a warrior believed to be King Ethelbald.  This may well be the earliest depiction of an English Monarch.
 
The hamlet of Milton was the centre of the farming community in the area for over 1500 years, with associated industries such as corn milling, butchery and tanning also in evidence.

For more detailed information about Repton's illustrious past visit the website of the Village History Group or the Village Society

Repton Today

Over the last few decades, in common with most English villages, Repton and Milton have experienced a major decline in the number of local businesses and shops: many residents now commute to work in large towns and do much of their shopping in nearby  

supermarkets and shopping centres . Repton is unusual however in being the home of a famous public school with some 600 pupils drawn from around the world.  Repton School has occupied many fine buildings in the village centre for over 450 years; today it still has a very considerable impact on the local economy.  This arises through its support of local shops and services, together with its substantial employment of teaching and ancillary staff.  The School also provides amenities that help greatly to generate a sense of community within the village.  These include sports facilities such as tennis courts and a swimming pool, plus a well-supported music programme, and other regular events.

There are also a number of village clubs, societies and organisations that contribute to the richness of village life. The Village Hall, Royal British Legion and 4 pubs are, of course, at the centre of the community.  In addition Repton has restaurants, takeaways, tearooms, a Post Office, general store, butchers, hairdressers etc.  These cater not only for the needs of residents, but also the increasing flow of visitors who come to explore the heritage of the village that justifiably lays claim to the title ‘Historic Capital of Mercia?

Conservation

The two villages contain many listed buildings.  The ones in Milton are mainly Georgian while those in Repton date from the 8th century to relatively recent times.  In recognition of this both villages have conservation areas.  The centre of Repton was first designated a conservation area in 1964, and extended in 1982.

Home